Classic Madness is a fan-made mod that full-fledgedly revamps Midtown Madness 2, in nearly every aspect. Made to recall the era of the 1950s and 1960s, it replaces each of the player and traffic cars with newly designed vehicles with interiors and dashes, all from both decades.
Also, it features two new scratch-made cities, Pleasantville and Forsaken Vale, while the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco is replaced by the Montgomery Block, which stood on the same spot until it was demolished in 1959 to make way for the new skyscraper. Classic Madness was released unfinished and is the last official release of the HQTM Team (they disbanded the day of this release on December 31st, 2007).
It is unfinished in the sense that Forsaken Vale and Pleasantville have "gaps," where the world would suddenly drop-off, while the game is much more likely to crash during races and Crash Course events. It is still available to download from Midtown Madness 2 eXtreme.
One of the main features of the mod, is that every car in MM2 has been replaced by a highly-detailed retro equivalent. However, the use of other mods, such as other high-detail cars and MM2 Revisited can either cause the game to crash at the car selection screen or will not replace some cars with the new models. Notably, installing the mod can affect your progress, so some vehicles may need to be unlocked again. Below is a list of the cars and what they replace in-game:
- Mini Cooper Classic --> Morris Mini Minor
- VW New Beetle --> Volkswagen Beetle
- London Cab --> Austin FX4 London Taxi
- Cadillac Eldorado --> 59 Cadillac Eldorado
- Ford F-350 --> Chevrolet 3100
- Ford Mustang GT --> Buick Special (added as an additional car separately) and Mercedes-Benz 300 SL
- Ford Mustang Cruiser --> Buick Special Police
- Ford Mustang Fastback --> Chrysler 300 C
- Panoz Roadster --> Syrena Sport
- City Bus --> Jelcz MEX 272
- Double-Decker Bus --> AEC Regent RT 191
- Freightliner Century --> Mack W-71
- New Mini Cooper --> Citroën 2CV
- VW New Beetle Dune --> Triumph Thunderbird
- VW New Beetle RSi --> BMW 507
- Light Tactical Vehicle --> Jeep Willys
- Audi TT --> Porsche 356 Speedster
- Aston Martin DB7 Vantage --> Aston Martin DB5
- Panoz GTR-1 --> Ferrari 250 GTO
- American LaFrance Fire Truck --> American LaFrance Type 700